Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Fajita Salad

I have a confession. I fear carbohydrates. Ok, fear is too strong a word but I do try to minimize carbs in my diet. I by no means follow the Atkins diet. I just try to eat less carbs and when I do eat carbs, I try to eat unrefined carbs, like fruit or whole wheat everything. (That's when I'm not wolfing down a bag of chips...) I think I got this from my mother. She just got back from Mexico and cut out rice (a Vietnamese woman!) to lose some weight before the trip. This does not mean I do not eat rice, pasta or bread. It just takes a smaller portion in most of my meals, and I eat it less frequently.


This is why I love this fajita salad recipe that my sister L and her boyfriend D introduced to me. It constitutes of vegetables and protein, and good fat from the avocado in the guacamole. It's quick, easy, healthy and makes for a very filling dinner! There is a variety of ingredients which keeps my palate happy. It's also a perfect recipe for one although on this occasion I was making it for myself and my friend T while her hubby was away. I usually eat it with chicken but it's also good with beef. My ex-roommate D would replace it with tofu for a vegetarian version.

Fajita Salad (2 servings)

For the protein
* 2 tsp oil
* ¼ red onion, thickly sliced
* 1 red pepper, sliced
* 2 chicken breasts, sliced (or tofu for the vegetarian version)
* 2 Tbsp Tex-Mex seasoning
* ½ head of lettuce, torn into small pieces

For the lime dressing
* juice of one lime
* 1-2 Tbsp sugar, or to taste (I like this dressing sweet)
* ⅛ tsp salt, or to taste
* 1-2 tsp oil

To assemble the salad
* cheddar cheese, shredded
* guacamole
* salsa

Heat
up oil.
Stir fry red onion, red peppers and chicken with Tex-Mex seasoning.
Meanwhile, get the lime dressing ready: mix the lime juice, sugar, salt and oil.
Toss the lettuce with the dressing.
To assemble: on a bed of dressed lettuce, add the pepper and chicken mixture, sprinkle some cheese (while the mixture is hot so the cheese can melt), spoon salsa and guacamole (as much as you like).
Tada!

Sautéing red onion, red pepper and chicken with Tex Mex seasoning.

Close up of chicken, guacamole and salsa.

==============================================================
Updated pictures on December 8, 2008.

2 comments: