Sunday, January 10, 2010

Apple Pancakes

It seems every time I stay at my sister's I get treated to breakfast. She goes all out, including coffee with foamy milk! The last time I wrote about it, she made frittata and scones. This time, she made pretty apple pancakes that I am planning to replicate for a future brunch! She was very excited to use the new griddle that her fiancé D just got them. Oh, how I wish I had a gas range so I could also use a griddle!

IMG_9441

Apple Pancakes - Makes about 12 pancakes - Serves 4
From Williams-Sonoma.
Not only to these pancakes have a slice of apple on top, but there is also grated apples in the batter! Delicious apple-iness! Though the recipe says it serves 4, I think it served more like 6; there were that many... One trick I learned from my sister is to warm up the maple syrup beforehand so it doesn't cool down your pancakes when you pour it on! (And if you don't have buttermilk on hand, add 1 tbsp of lemon juice for every cup of milk.)

* 2 eggs
* 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
* ⅓ cup plus 2 tbsp sugar
* 2 tsp baking powder
* 1 tsp baking soda
* 1 tsp salt
* 2 tsp ground cinnamon
* 1 tsp ground ginger
* ¼ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
* 2 cups plus 2 tbsp buttermilk
* 4 tbsp (½ stick) unsalted butter, melted
* 2 tsp vanilla extract
* 1 peeled Granny Smith apple, cored and finely grated
* 1 peeled Granny Smith apple, thinly sliced on a mandoline

In a bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the eggs on medium speed until frothy.
Add the flour, the 1/3 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, buttermilk, butter and vanilla.
Stir just until smooth and no lumps of flour remain; do not overmix.
Add the grated apple and stir just until combined.
Heat a griddle over medium-high heat until a few drops of water flicked onto the surface skitter across it.
Lightly spray the griddle with nonstick cooking spray.
For each pancake, sprinkle some sugar on 1 apple slice and place on the griddle.
Ladle about ⅓ cup of the batter on top of the apple slice.
Cook until bubbles form on top and the batter is set, about 2 minutes.
Using a spatula, flip the pancakes and cook until golden brown on the other side, about 2 minutes more.
Serve with warm maple syrup.
Tada!

IMG_9434 IMG_9436
IMG_9437
Preparing the pancakes!

IMG_9443
I love the addition of apples on top and grated apples inside.

2 comments:

The Food Hunter said...

I can't wait to try these

Miss.Adventure said...

They're definitely worth the effort! Maybe not for a film crew...