Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Bún Gà Xả (Lemongrass Chicken Soup)

As I was trying to think of yet another soup recipe, I remembered that my mom used to make bún gà xả on the weekends. I gave her a call and asked for the recipe. This is not a traditional Vietnamese recipe but the use of lemongrass makes it Asian tasting. It's fairly easy and makes for a pretty light meal. My sister and I like dipping the chicken in a lime dipping sauce.



Bún Gà Xả (Lemongrass Chicken Soup)
My mom usually makes this soup with chicken drumsticks. Chicken parts with bones are the best to make a good broth. Alternately, you can use Vietnamese chicken broth. I added napa cabbage to have vegetables. My mom says she likes eating this with bean sprouts.

* 2 chicken legs - or drumsticks
* salt, to taste
* pepper, to taste
* oil
* water
* lemongrass, sliced into 3-4" sections and mashed to flavour the broth
* nappa cabbage, sliced thinly
* fish sauce, to taste
* bún (rice vermicelli), cooked and drained
* green onion, for garnish
* coriander, for garnish

Season the chicken to taste.
Brown the chicken parts in some oil in a pot - the chicken does not have to be fully cooked.
Place the chicken back into the pot.
Cover the chicken with water.
Add the lemongrass.
Bring the water to a boil and bring down to simmer.
Simmer for about 45 minutes.
Add the nappa cabbage - it should only take 2-3 minutes to cook.
Taste the broth and adjust with fish sauce or salt accordingly.
Serve with bún and top with green onion and coriander.


Two chicken legs cut in two and browned.



Lemongrass added to the broth.



Bún (rice vermicelli). You can buy it like this in square portions (on the left).

For the dipping sauce:
Mix lime juice with salt and pepper.
Dip the chicken in.
Tada!

Adding nappa cabbage and the lime dipping sauce.

Another good soup for the long winter months!

1 comment:

Jacqueline said...

Hi Miss Adventure,

I tried this recipe over the weekend while sick and this really helped me to feel better. The simplicity of the recipe and the herbal nature of lemongrass really made it fantastic. I cooked it with some ginger coins and it turned out well.

Thanks!