Sunday, June 14, 2009

Fiore Cantina (Calgary)

638 17 Avenue SW
Calgary, Alberta
403.244.6603
website

(Since I will be spending a significant amount of time on our road trip with my ex-roommate and good friend D, I thought she deserved a better name than just D. Since she left her engineer job to become a trapeze instructor and is heading back to Ontario to teach trapeze at camp, she will henceforth be known as Trapezista.)

I arrived at 6 pm in Calgary (8 pm EST) famished and with a thumping headache on top of that. Trapezista came to pick me up from Banff. She drove us to dinner at Fiore Cantina, where we were meeting our friend AM who lives in Calgary. I cannot believe that for the second time in less than a year, I am in Alberta, having dinner with both Trapezista and AM!

AM picked Fiore Cantina because of its proximity to her apartment and its affordability. In fact, Fiore Cantina has a $7.99 special on all their pasta dishes, offered on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. AM is planning a wedding for August, and Trapezista and I are pretty budget-minded these days...



Both AM and Trapezista picked a vegetable heavy pasta. I don't remember which one it was and can only guess from the online menu that it was the linguini vegeteriano ($12.95 regular price). I decided to go for the spinach fettucine mare e monto ($13.95 regular price) after the waiter informed me that fresh rock crab was used rather than canned crab.

Linguini vegetariano.

I really enjoyed my spinach fettucine with crab. I thought there was a generous amount of crab. AM and her fiancé have been here numerous times and she thought the cream sauce was on the sweet side. After eating half of my pasta, I had to agree with her. It was a bit of overwhelming with the richness of the sauce. I still managed to eat my whole dish though!

Spinach fettucine with crab.

Fiore Cantina seemed to be a really nice spot for dinner and has a good wine list though we did not indulge. There were quite a few people that came in after us. It seems their pasta special is successful in attracting a good crowd on a Monday night!

No comments: