Monday, October 6, 2008

Mushroom Crusted Tilapia

Dinner was inspired by a couple of things. First, I saw Anthony Sedlak on The Main making Mushroom Crusted Red Snapper. Mmmm, I cannot resist a mushroom recipe! Second, maybe it was fate but I found a huge pack of mushrooms (mainly fresh shiitake mushrooms!!) for $1.49 at Fortino's. I also found two packs of asparagus bundled up together for $1.99. Perfect for dinner!



Mushroom Crusted Tilapia

Croutons
* stale bread, slice into cubes
* oil
* salt
* dried herbs

Mix everything together.
Bake in the oven around 300C, until the bread cubes are golden.


I rarely make croutons at home but I should. They turned out really well!

Mushroom Topping
* oil
* onion, chopped small
* garlic, minced
* mushrooms of your choice, sliced
* dried thyme
* Marsala wine
* croutons

Heat up oil in a pan.
Stir fry onion and garlic until soft.
Add mushrooms.
Season with salt, pepper and add some dried thyme.
Add some Marsala wine.
Turn off once the mushrooms are cooked through.
Mix the mushrooms with some croutons in a bowl.


My $1.49 pack of mushrooms.


Croutons and mushroom mixture.

Fish
* oil
* salt and pepper
* fish fillet
* mushroom mixture

Season the fish with oil, salt and pepper.
Press some of the mushroom mixture on one side.
Broil in the oven until fish is cooked.

The tilapia filet is hidden by the mushrooms, but it's there!

With the leftover mushroom mixture, I made myself a mushroom pizza! I had leftover pesto from the previous week. I added a generous amount of mushrooms, some sun dried tomatoes and mozzarella. Mmm mmm good!

Pizza for mushroom lovers!

No comments: