Sunday, May 31, 2009

Chana Masala

Although I really like Indian food, I don't often make it at home for a few reasons. One, I don't believe I can make it as well as in restaurants. Two, I'm worried it's fatty and unhealthy. Obviously, these are not good reasons. I regularly read the blog Lisa's Kitchen and Lisa reguarly makes healthy Indian food. This chana masala recipe, that I ripped out from a friend's old Martha Stewart magazine, is very easy, healthy and yummy.



I have to admit that when I go to Indian restaurants, I do not usually order chana masala. I just find it's one of the lesser exciting dishes. In addition, it often looks like a mass of brown food, not very attractive. I like this recipe because it's tomato based and it's actually pretty good looking for Indian food!

I am submitting this recipe to the food blogging event, My Legume Love Affair, highlighting recipes with legumes. This eleventh edition is hosted by Lori Lynn from Taste With The Eyes. If you are interested in participating, or want to check past round-ups, take a look at the host lineup. This food blogging event was created by Susan from The Well-Seasoned Cook.

Chana Masala - Serves 2-3
Adapted from Martha Stewart.
I have added some sugar to the original recipe. I like the slightly sweet taste of Indian food (like Vietnamese) and I figured a couple of teaspoons wouldn't hurt! I put a whole jalapeño, seeds and all. It was fiery! So add jalapeño according to your heat resistance level! Final note, it's worth buying whole cumin seeds, even if you've run out and it costs $4.69..........

* oil
* ½ tsp cumin seeds
* 1 small onion, finely diced
* 1 cloves garlic, minced
* 1 cup crushed canned tomatoes (or as much as you want)
* 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
* ½ jalapeño pepper, seeded & very finely diced
* ½ tsp garam masala
* ½ tsp salt
* 1-3 tsp sugar (to taste)
* fresh chopped cilantro, for garnish

Heat oil in a large skillet over high heat.
Add cumin seeds and cook until they begin to pop - about 30 seconds.
Add onions and cook until they begin to brown.
Add garlic and cook 1 more minute.
Add tomatoes, chickpeas, jalapeño, garam masala, salt and sugar.
Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
Stir in cilantro and serve.
Serve with rice or naan bread.
Tada!


Onion, garlic, jalapeno and cumin seeds. How can this not taste good?


The tomatoes make this dish very colourful.

2 comments:

Lori Lynn said...

It sounds delicious! I like how one can see all the ingredients individually in your dish, the chick peas, tomatoes, jalapeño, onion... Definitely NOT a mass of brown!
Lori Lynn

Anonymous said...

this recipe is nice but it is still unhealthy because of the oil and salt including the process of cooking which creates loads of free radicals...i'd suggest leave out the oil and salt if possible..and this way it can be slightly healthier.