Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Sườn (Vietnamese Style Pork Chops)

Whenever I had cơm tấm (broken rice) in Vietnam, I liked to order it with sườn (pork chops). So I asked my mom for her recipe for sườn. She went all out and made cơm tấm bì chả sườn. I already wrote a post for chả (meatloaf). Here is the one for sườn. Now I am only missing one for (shredded pork) - that's because my mom always seems to have some in the freezer.


Sườn (Vietnamese Style Pork Chops)
My mom's recipe did not taste like the chops in Vietnam but it was still good. I think in Vietnam the pork chops were sweeter (more sugar added). My mom also likes the addition of lemongrass. This recipe is actually very similar to her thịt nướng (grilled meats), recipe coming... this summer!

* 1 tsp salt
* 1 tbsp sugar
* 2 garlic cloves, minced
* ½ tsp dark soy sauce
* 1 pinch of ground pepper
* chili flakes, optional
* 1 pinch baking soda – to make sure the meat is tender
* 1 tsp minced lemongrass (can be purchased frozen)
* 4 pork chops - about 1 lb.
* oil

Mix all of the ingredients (up to pork chops) to make a rub.
Rub seasoning mix onto the chops.
Marinate for 2 hours or overnight in the refrigerator.
Fry in some oil or grill on a BBQ.
Tada!

Marinate the pork chops and frying them.


My mom made a very pretty cơm tấm bì chả sườn.

2 comments:

comicalsol said...

I made dinner for my 25+ family earlier tonight and it was a hit! I followed your recipe and made Com Suon and Cha-meatloaf. I received compliments all night! I'm not a good cook, so it meant a lot to me. Thank you so much for doing what you do and for posting the best tasting recipes! You've made dinner night for me unforgettable!

Miss.Adventure said...

Thank you so much for letting me know! I'm glad you and your family enjoyed it!