Monday, December 21, 2009

Date Squares

I'm always on the lookout for dairy-free recipes that my mom will like (hence, the pistachio cranberry icebox cookie failure!). So when I spotted this date square recipe on Gourmet's Favourite Cookie section (an awesome reference for Christmas baking, by the way!), I thought perfect. My mom also really likes dates. The date squares were easy to make and came out pretty well, although a bit too sweet for my taste.

IMG_9269

Date Squares
From Gourmet, September 1945.
The recipe was very easy to make. My only little problem with these squares were cutting the dates. I bought whole dates, rather than pieces (because they were cheaper!). I wasn't able to use a knife because the dates were so sticky. I used scissors instead, and in a moment of inattention seriously cut my finger. Be careful!

1 cup graham cracker crumbs (about 14 crackers)
½ teaspoon salt
1-½ teaspoons baking powder
1-¾ cups dates, chopped
1 cup walnuts, chopped roughly
3 eggs
1 cup brown sugar
powdered sugar

Mix graham cracker crumbs with salt and baking powder.
Add chopped dates and walnuts.
Beat eggs well and gradually add brown sugar, then beat in the date mixture.
Pour into a well greased 9" x 9" square pan (I lined mine with parchment paper).
Bake
for 20 to 25 minutes at 375°F.
Allow to cool, and cut into small squares.
Cut while warm and sprinkle powdered sugar.
Tada!

IMG_9259 IMG_9260
IMG_9263 IMG_9266
The batter was a sweet and sticky one!

IMG_9273
A little square is all you need!

For more ideas for Christmas baked goods:

No comments: