Thursday, November 1, 2012

Taunte Maria's Mennonite Restaurant (Saskatoon, SK)

8-1724 Quebec Avenue
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
306.343.3334

I really wanted to try a Mennonite restaurant while I was in Saskatchewan as there is a large population in the province. I was lucky enough to get a chance to have lunch at Taunte Maria's, only open for breakfast and lunch.

IMG_0637
Taunte Maria's Mennonite Restaurant.

With a large menu and so many things to try, I felt a bit overwhelmed. I decided to start with the kommst borsch ($3.95). Unlike the more commonly known Polish borsht, which is a beet soup, Mennonite borsch is a cabbage soup, whose origin come from the Mennonites in Ukraine and Russia. I enjoyed the simple cabbage soup. There was also a summa borsch with potatoes, onion, dill and sausage that I would try next time.

IMG_0641
Kommst borsch.

The reason I did not order the somma borsch was that I also ordered the Unkel Yakob ($5.95), a farmer sausage on a bun with relish, onion and zesty dressing. It was not what I expected at all. The sausage was clearly homemade and made a nice accompaniment to my soup.

IMG_0642
Unkel Yakob.

While in Saskatoon, I really wanted to try Saskatoon berries. Unfortunately, I was unable to find any. I even inquired at this restaurant for Saskatoon berry pie. No luck, but was convinced to try the strawberry crisp with ice cream. Yums!

IMG_0643
Strawberry crisp.

All the food at Taunte Maria's Mennonite Restaurant is simple homemade food, just the way I like it. The prices were good and the staff very friendly. I hope I get a chance to visit again and discover other Mennonite dishes.

Taunte Maria's Mennonite Restaurant (Quebec Ave.) on Urbanspoon

10 comments:

Robert lloyd said...

Thanks for sharing such beautiful and nice information with us
and I hope you will also share again such Nice info, I am very thankful to you for providing knowledge full information with us .Hotels in Saskatoon
plz keep sharing ,Are u share again such info ? For More detail click here

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing this amazing article


pes university admission

direct admission in ms ramaiah institute of technology

direct admission in bms college of engineering

rv college of engineering admission through management quota

David Millar said...




Great article and thanks for your work. You made an article that is interesting. Photo Retouching Services

Evelyn C. Johnson said...

Hello guy, I have read and liked your well blog . Thank you .

Jim Rhodes said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
David said...

Good to know lot of things. Thank you.

Biddut Sarkar said...

I really appreciate reading such kinds of blogs. Thanks for sharing such informative articles.
Clipping path Service

Leopard said...


TORONTO An Iranian
Would-be medical exec from Iran barred from Canada over alleged ties to Tehran's nuclear program. Ramin Fallah was labeled a security threat because he ...
You've visited this page many times. Last visit: 5/12/21

ebony lorange said...

All are yummy items here you have shared. Liked this one blog. Image Retouching
Photo Editing Helps
Neck Joint
Photoshop Guideline
Clipping Path Tutorial
Drop Shadow Helps
Background Remove
Image Editing
Image Cut Out
Photo Manipulation

Dhruvi Parmar said...

Nice to see detail of Taunte Maria's Mennonite Restaurant.

https://www.99carrentals.com/