Thursday, February 12, 2009

Eggplant Parmesan

I learned how to make eggplant parmesan with the instructions of my ex-colleague A. A gave up his job to go to culinary school and work as a chef, only to come back to the metals' industry. Working as a chef is hard work and does not necessarily pay well. I did get to spend numerous lunch hours discussing food with A. When I asked him how to make eggplant parmesan, he taught me how to do a basic dredge (I have since seen it many times on foodtv shows) and introduced me to one of my favourite kitchen tools: parchment paper!



Eggplant Parmesan - serves 4
This recipe is pretty easy to make, although there are a few steps to making the eggplant parmesan. You can also easily replace the eggplant with zucchini, or for the carnivores out there, chicken or veal (I would pound and season the meat). A directed me to bake the eggplant on parchment paper, but it can also be fried for a less healthy option.

* 2 small eggplants
* ½ cup flour
* salt, to taste
* pepper, to taste
* 1 egg, beaten
* garlic powder
* breadcrumbs
* Italian seasoning
* parmesan
* tomato sauce, homemade or store bought
* mozzarella, grated

Slice eggplants lengthwise, about ½" thick.
Prepare three deep dishes for dredging.
Mix flour, a bit of salt and pepper in the first.
In the second, mix an egg with a bit of garlic powder.
Finally, mix breadcrumbs, Italian seasoning and parmesan in the last plate.
Dredge (or dip) an eggplant slice into the flour, then egg mixture and finally the breadcrumb mix.
Place on parchment paper lined baking sheet - parchment paper is awesome because there is no sticking!
Bake in the oven at 350F until the eggplant is cooked through for about 20 minutes.
Spoon some tomato sauce onto the eggplant slices and top with mozzarella.
Broil until the cheese is melted.
Serve with pasta and tomato sauce.
Tada!


Sliced eggplant and breadcrumb mixture.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Vernon and I CANNOT find parchment paper within a five mile radius of our apartment! How crazy is that?

Miss.Adventure said...

That is CRAZY! I would not be able to live without parchment paper!!