Saturday, January 9, 2010

Phở Xào Thịt Bò (Stir Fried Noodles with Beef)

There are certain dishes that I don't make on my own. I'm not sure if it's laziness, or I'm just not interested enough to make it on my own. Phở xào thịt bò (stir fried noodles with beef) is one of these dishes. Therefore, it's the perfect dish to ask my mom to make when I visit! I guess I thought it was not worth the effort; however, I realized it's not as hard as I thought.

IMG_9414

Phở Xào Thịt Bò (Stir Fried Noodles with Beef) - 2 servings
My mom broke the recipe into two so it would be easier to stir fry in the frying pan. If you want to make more servings, multiply all the ingredients, cook the beef all at once and just divide the noodles into manageable portions. The recipe is split into two: first, you need to cook the meat, then you cook the noodles and add the beef at the end.

Cooking the beef
* 200 g beef, sliced thinly
* baking soda (just a bit to make sure the meat is not tough)
* salt
* ground black pepper
* garlic powder
* sesame oil
* white parts of green onion
* oil
* ½ onion, sliced
* 1 garlic clove, minced
* oyster sauce

Pre-season the meat by adding baking soda, salt, pepper, garlic powder and sesame oil to taste.
Heat oil in a large frying pan at medium-high heat.
Cook the onion slices and garlic until softened.
Add the beef and green onion and cook quickly, while stirring.
Add a bit of oyster sauce and mix again.
Set the beef aside once the meat is finished cooking.

IMG_9400 IMG_9401
IMG_9405 IMG_9408
Cooking the beef.

Cooking the noodles
* oil
* ½ package phở (Vietnamese rice noodles), soaked in water until soft and drained
* dark soy sauce
* 1-2 handfuls of bean sprouts
* green parts of green onion, in 1" sections

Heat oil in a large frying pan on medium-high heat.
Add some dark soy sauce and make sure the noodles are well coated.
Add the bean sprouts and green onion, and mix well.
Once the noodles have cooked and softened, turn off the heat and add the cooked beef.
Serve with Thai basil.
Tada!

IMG_9409 IMG_9411
IMG_9412 IMG_9413
Cooking the noodles.

IMG_9475
A hearty dish of noodles and beef.

For other Asian recipes with beef:
* Betel Leaves stuffed with Ground Beef
* Vietnamese-style Grilled Beef with Rice Vermicelli
* Vermicelli with Stir-Fried Beef