Friday, October 29, 2010

Vegetable Tajine

I remember being really happy with the chicken tajine I had previously made. I was inspired to make a vegetarian version by my visits to Moroccan restaurants (Au Tarot and Rumi) and to Morocco. It seems the vegetables always come in large chunks, cooked so they're soft. I like the combination of tartness and saltiness from the lemons and olives.

Vegetable Tajine

Vegetable Tajine - Serves 3-4
You can obviously use the vegetables of your choice but I tried to use those I had encountered in tajines. The addition of chickpeas add protein to the meal.

* olive oil
* 1 small onion, sliced thinly
* 1 garlic clove, minced
* ½ tsp cumin
* ½ tsp nutmeg
* ¼ tsp cardamom
* ½ tsp dried chili flakes
* ½ L of vegetable broth
* ½ L of water
* ½ lemon, sliced thinly
* ½ can of green olives, chopped
* vegetables of your choice, cut into chunks (carrots, potatoes, butternut squash, zucchini)
* a few cauliflower florets
* a small handle of green beans
* a small handle of chickpeas
* salt and pepper, to taste

In a large pot, on medium/high heat, cook onion slices in olive oil.
Add the garlic and spices and cook for 3-4 minutes.
Pour the vegetable broth and water.
Add the lemon slices, olives and vegetables that take longer to cook (carrots, potatoes, squash).
Bring to a boil and lower to a simmer.
Later, add the zucchini, cauliflower florets, green beans and chickpeas.
Cook for 1 hour, with the lid on.
Taste and adjust seasoning (salt and pepper).
Serve with couscous (I had it with minty couscous and raisins).
Tada!

Onion and Spices Adding lemons
Cooking tajine Adding Vegetables
Cooking a tajine.

While I really enjoyed the tajine on the day I made it, I liked it even better on subsequent days. Not only is it nice to come home and not have to cook, but it's healthy and the flavours are so vibrant. Delicious and no guilt at all!

Vegetable Tajine

Tajine on Couscous
Served with couscous with mint and raisins.

No comments: