Friday, September 9, 2011

Tung Hing Café & Sweets (Hamilton, ON)

103 Queen Street North
Hamilton, Ontario
905.527.8333

I've been living in Hamilton for over 10 years but have never been able to enjoy a bánh mì. Enter the new Asian grocery store a stone's throw from my place and the adjacent Café.

Tung Hing Café & Sweets Tung Hing Café & Sweets
Tung Hing Café & Sweets - shelves of Asian sweets.

Tung Hing Café offers typical Asian fares: little cakes, pizza buns, spring rolls and sesame balls. Customers grab a tray and serve themselves with tongs. Bring the tray to the cash and they will bag the treats for you. My favourite item has to be the sesame balls. They are always crispy, a good mark of freshness and come in two flavours: lotus and red beans. Try it out if you've never had it!

Sweets
Coconut sweets, vegetable spring rolls and sesame rolls (2 for $1.10).

While I can easily get distracted by the display of sweets, it's the bánh mì (Vietnamese subs) that are the real stars here. A variety of bánh mì 's are offered (unfortunately, I was stopped from taking pictures), my favourites being the gà nướng (grilled chicken) and nem nướng (pork patties), which was translated as pork with honey I think. These subs were around $3.25. They also have a vegetarian selection with tofu and vegetables.

IMG_2356 (1024x768)
Bánh mì nem nướng (pork patty sub).

The meat is served in a crusty Vietnamese baguette. A bit of homemade mayo is slathered on the bread, with pickled carrots and daikon, cucumbers, coriander and if you like it spicy, green chilies.

IMG_2359 (1024x768) IMG_2357 (1024x768)
Pork patty and grilled chicken Vietnamese sub.

If you've never had Vietnamese subs and you live in Hamilton, this is a great place to try them. At less than $4, it's a very affordable option for lunch. I grabbed a couple for my train ride back to Montréal.

2 comments:

Gastronomer said...

Glad to hear that you *finally* have a banh mi spot close to home. I don't know what I'd do without Viet sandwiches at my disposal!

Anonymous said...

I love the banh mi sandwiches at the Tung Hing Cafe. They are my absolute favourite lunch. So much flavour and the bun is amazing.