Sunday, February 14, 2010

Homemade Baked Beans

As some of my guests were vegetarian (and even vegan), I wanted to offer an alternative to the breakfast sausages. I don't usually have beans for breakfast but I didn't mind it so much. I didn't actually bake my beans but quickly cooked them in a tomato sauce. I was happy to have a recipe I could make on the previous day and heat it up on the morning of the brunch.

IMG_9569

Baked Beans
If you're not making this vegetarian, you can add some diced bacon!

* oil
* ½ onion, chopped finely
* 1 clove of garlic, minced
* ½ can of tomatoes
* 1 can of white (cannellini) beans, rinsed and drained
* ½ can of tomatoes
* 1 tsp dry mustard
* 2 tbsp brown sugar
* ¼ cup maple syrup
* 1 bay leaf
* salt and pepper, to taste

Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat.
Add onion and cook until brown.
Add garlic for 1-2 more minutes.
Add beans, tomatoes, maple syrup, brown sugar, mustard and bay leaf.
Stir until well combined and bring to a boil.
Cover and simmer on low heat.
Taste and season with salt and pepper according to taste.
Tada!

IMG_9570
For a healthy breakfast!

For other brunch recipes:
* Apple Pancakes
* Baked Egg Florentine
*
Pumpkin Muffins
* Homemade Breakfast Sausages
* Homemade Baked Beans
* Breakfast Potatoes
* Pumpkin Muffins
* Berry Fruit Salad
*
Chocolate Dipped Strawberries

No comments: