Saturday, February 13, 2010

Homemade Breakfast Sausage

Ok, I have been slow writing these brunch posts because I have been quite busy at work. Yes, excuses, excuses. So I promise I will pound them all out this week. These breakfast sausages were my favourite recipe of the brunch. First, because I had never attempted homemade sausages before. Secondly, because they were easy to make. Thirdly, they were tasty little porky bites! This is a perfect recipe for those who worry about all the nitrites added to store-bought sausages!

IMG_9566

I was actually inspired to make homemade sausages when I read the same Canadian House & Home issue from which I got the Baked Egg Florentine recipe. However, I did some internet research and found Alton Brown's sausage recipe. (I can't help but mention here that my pal Trapezista got Alton Brown's latest cookbook and has a crush on him! I will have to check out his book!)

Homemade Breakfast Sausage - Makes 40 small sausages
From Alton Brown.
Alton Brown's recipe calls for buying pork butt and fat, and grinding your own meat. I couldn't be bothered and just bought ground pork. I'm sure it's just as good. I get very impatient when frying meatballs and sausages. My tip is making the sausages as flat as possible so they cook more quickly. I froze these sausages, ensuring the sausages had a plastic film in between each. I allowed them thaw the night before, and they tasted as good as when I cooked them fresh! So make a big batch and have them on hand in the freezer!

* 2 lbs ground pork
* 2 tsp kosher salt
* 1-½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
* 2 tsp finely chopped fresh sage leaves
* 2 tsp finely chopped fresh thyme leaves
* ½ teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary leaves
* 1 tbsp light brown sugar
* ½ tbsp nutmeg
* ½ tsp cayenne pepper
* ½ tsp red pepper flakes, or to taste
* oil
* whole sage leaves for frying

Combine ground pork with all the other ingredients (up until the oil) and mix thoroughly.
Form into 1-inch rounds. (At this point, the sausages can be refrigerated and used within 1 week or frozen for up to 3 months.)
Heat up oil in a non-stick pan.
Fry sage leaves and set aside.
Fry patties over medium-low heat until brown and cooked through, approximately 10 to 15 minutes.
Serve with the fried sage leaves.
Tada!

IMG_9523 IMG_9525
The lady at the Farmer's market gave me a tip for saving sage: wrap the stems with a wet paper towel and place back in a plastic bag, in the fridge

IMG_9528
Cute little round sausages!

IMG_9610
I really enjoyed the fresh herbs and the chili flakes in these sausages!

For other brunch recipes:
* Apple Pancakes
* Baked Egg Florentine
*
Pumpkin Muffins
* Homemade Baked Beans
* Breakfast Potatoes
* Pumpkin Muffins
* Berry Fruit Salad
*
Chocolate Dipped Strawberries

No comments: