Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Pizzeria Mozza (Los Angeles, CA)

641 N. Highland Ave.
Los Angeles, California
323.297.0101
website

Another day in California and another great meal! This time, my lovely friend Cathy (aka The Gastronomer) took me and her mother for lunch after we went to pick up her wedding favours - very pretty chocolate truffles from XT Patisserie. Cathy had previously suggested going to Pizzeria Mozza for dinner, but she couldn't snag a last minute reservation, and we had Japanese instead. Even when we arrived for a late lunch, it seemed doubtful that they could find a table for us. They finally found a table in the wine cellar area.

IMG_0217

IMG_0216 IMG_0206
Cathy thought I was such a tourist for taking a picture of Mario Batali's picture!

Did I mention that Mario Batali is one of the owners of Pizzeria Mozza? This is very exciting for a foodtv (and Iron Chef America) fan! I remembered reading Cathy's posts on Pizzeria Mozza and Osteria Mozza next door. I was excited that I'd get to experience some of the food I usually only get to salivate over! I also remember reading her post at Mozza 2 Go where she tried the chicken livers, capers, parsley & guanciale bruschette ($9) and being very curious about this dish. Luckily, Cathy was willing to have it again and I was able to enjoy creamy chicken livers on crusty bread topped with guanciale. (Cathy also reproduced the dish at home!)

IMG_0196
Chicken livers, capers, parsley & guanciale bruschette

On to the pizzas. After the appetizer, we decided to split two pizzas between the three of us. Miss Cathy picked the squash blossoms, tomato & burrata ($23) that was featured on Saveur magazine's cover for the LA issue - including an article written by Cathy herself on Koren Fried Chicken! My favourite part was definitely the hot, soft and gooey burrata. I will definitely have to find this cheese for homemade pizzas!

IMG_0200
Squash blossoms, tomato & burrata pizza.

I picked the speck, bufala mozzarella, olive tapenade & oregano ($16). This pizza was after my own salt lover's heart! Between the speck and the tapenade, there was enough saltiness to make me very happy! The pizza was then topped with fresh herbs. Because of the slices of speck, this pizza was a bit difficult to eat but well worth the effort!

IMG_0203 IMG_0205
Speck, bufala mozzarella, olive tapenade & oregano.

We went all out and ordered dessert. Cathy's mom T and I shared gelato (espresso and Gianduia for $8). I really enjoyed the Gianduia flavour. I was quite amused by Cathy asking for the two flavours of gelato being served in separate bowls, and being refused by our waiter because it was kitchen policy to not serve it that way! It was such a nonsensical explanation!

IMG_0207 IMG_0208
Cathy rocking my new hat and photographing the photographer!

Cathy ordered her favourite dessert, one that she had previously ordered, the butterscotch budino, Maldon sea salt & rosemary pine nut cookies ($9). Although I'm not sure I could have eaten it all on my own, I have to admit that the sea salt (salt again!) and butterscotch was a winning combination! It was quite the decadent treat!

IMG_0213
Butterscotch budino, Maldon sea salt & rosemary pine nut cookies.

Our great lunch was followed by stuffing little Chinese food take-out boxes with chocolates. Thanks for a super lunch Cathy! I wish I lived nearby in LA!

Pizzeria Mozza on Urbanspoon

For my other California posts:
* Bánh Mì Chè Cali & Tea Station
* NYC Seafood Restaurant
* Nem Nướng Ninh Hòa
* Quang An Duong Herb Store & Kim Ky Noodle House
* Oomasa Restaurant
* Fish tacos at Señor Fish
* Crawsfish at The Boiling Crab
* All-you-can-eat Korean BBQ at Road to Seoul
* Rehearsal Dinner at La Grande Orange Café
* Wedding Banquet at Capital Seafood Restaurant

2 comments:

Gastronomer said...

Oh, Nina! Come back! Miss you!

EatTravelEat said...

I haven't been here yet and yet I am only a short drive away. That gelato looks giant! So pudgy and fat. :) I am a foodtv fan too.