Sunday, May 16, 2010

Señor Fish (Alhambra, CA)

15 W Main St
Alhambra, California
626.299-7550

website


One of my goals on this trip was to try fish tacos. I had seen them on foodtv and read about them on California blogs (The Gastronomer put together taco task force!). The idea of fried fish in a taco sounded like a great combination to me! I searched for a restaurant near my uncle's and found Señor Fish.

IMG_0163 IMG_0170
Salsas and accompaniment.

My uncle drove me at 11 am. I think I was the first one there. Along with the fish taco ($2.50), I was intrigued by the scallop taco ($2.95), and also ordered a fish and scallop burrito ($6.95). While I waited, I filled out containers with different salsas ranging from mild to very spicy. My uncle insisted that pickled radishes and peppers were necessary for the burrito.

I couldn't wait to dig into my fried fish taco. It consisted of two layers of soft tortillas topped with fried fish, cabbage, tomato and coriander. I put generous amount of sour cream and salsa. The restaurant does offer to grill the fish instead of frying it, for the more health conscious. However, I was willing to splurge for my one and only chance at fish tacos!

IMG_0171
Fish taco.

The burrito was stuffed with seafood, lettuce and rice (my uncle didn't want the beans). Although I was really excited at the prospect of having scallops in my burrito and taco, I preferred the fish. I'm not sure that the scallops were fresh and were overcooked to my liking. I would just stick with the fish tacos next time.

IMG_0162 IMG_0168
Shrimp & scallop burrito and scallop taco.

I was really curious about the horchata ($1.25 for a small drink). Horchata is a Latin American drink made of rice. It was strongly spiced with cinnamon. I really enjoyed it at the beginning but I was unable to finish my drink - the cinnamon was a bit too strong for my taste. I would definitely add ice next time to dilute it a bit.

IMG_0165
Sweet horchata.

I loved my first fish taco experience and wish I could enjoy such things here in Canada!

Señor Fish on Urbanspoon

For other taco posts:
* in Montréal, La Taqueria Mex
* in Chicago, Cemitas Puebla

1 comment:

Gastronomer said...

Fish tacos and horchata, what a SoCal treat! Too bad Vern wasn't around to help finish your horchata ;-) The boy LOVES the stuff.