Saturday, May 8, 2010

Quang An Duong Herb Store & Kim Ky Noodle House (Rosemead,CA)

Quang An Duong Herb Store
9014F Garvey Avenue
Rosemead, California
626.288.7835


After lunching on bánh bèo, my aunt and cousin took me shopping in Old Pasadena. After shopping to our hearts' content, my aunt asked me if I wanted some sugar cane juice. My first time drinking sugar cane juice was in California and so every time I've visited subsequently, I request getting the sweet, fragrant drink. Luckily, my aunt knew of a Chinese herb store that also sells a very generous portion of sugar cane juice for $3.

IMG_0115 IMG_0116
IMG_0119
Beautiful green-coloured sugar cane juice.

Kim Ky Noodle House
9014H Garvey Avenue
Rosemead, California
626.569.9511

As we were waiting for our juice, my aunt commented that she was hungry. So we rushed next door to order more food. My aunt and cousin shared a large bowl of noodles. When it came for me to order, my aunt put me on the spot by telling the Chinese waitress that I spoke Cantonese. I quickly looked at the menu and ordered fish porridge (cháo cá in Vietnamese). It sounds like "chook yu" - my Cantonese vocabulary is pretty much limited to words related to food.

IMG_0123

I also got a serving of crispy yau ja gwai to go with my fish porridge. I love dipping the crispy savoury "doughnut" into soup. Perfect combination! At the bottom of my bowl were large chunks of fish. Fortunately, since I was still full, I got to take most of my soup home with me! I didn't write down the prices but everything was quite affordable. Just keep in mind that it closes relatively early, around 5 pm on the Sunday we were there.

IMG_0117 IMG_0120
IMG_0121 IMG_0122
From top left (clockwise): noodles, yau ja gwai, and my fish porridge.

For porridge recipes to make at home:
* Cháo Ca (Fish Porridge)
* Cháo Gà (Chicken Porridge)

No comments: