Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Cauliflower Salad

To accompany the goat cheese stuffed mushrooms, I made a cauliflower salad, also one of Laura Calder's (from French Food at Home) recipes. I really enjoy cauliflower in all its forms. I love it raw (give me cauliflower and dip, and I could probably finish a whole head), as well as cooked. I don't even mind it overcooked, as it often is in aloo gobi. I'm actually surprised I don't have any cauliflower recipes - I think I just didn't get nice pictures because I also love making cauliflower soup!

Cauliflower Salad

Cauliflower Salad
From French Food at Home.
What attracted me to this recipe were the salty sun-dried tomatoes and olives! I loved both against the crunchy raw cauliflowers with the lemony dressing. I only followed the ingredients and not the amount. I used basil since I don't have tarragon on hand.

* 1 small cauliflower or half a large one
* 1 clove garlic minced
* 2 generous handfuls of sun-dried tomatoes, packed in oil
* 2 generous handfuls black olives, sliced
* 2 handfuls of fresh tarragon or basil leaves, chopped
* zest of a lemon and juice to taste
* extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
* salt and pepper, to taste

Break cauliflower into florettes, discarding the central stem.
Slice them thinly and put them in a bowl.
Add the olives and sun-dried tomatoes.
In a small bowl, mix the garlic and lemon zest with the lemon juice and olive oil.
Season with salt and pepper - not too much salt because of the salty components.
Pour the dressing over the vegetables.
Garnish with chopped basil.
Tada!

Cauliflower Salad

This salad is even better the next day, once the cauliflower has had a chance to absorb all the dressing.

No comments: