Saturday, September 4, 2010

Caprese Salad

There's nothing more simple than a Caprese salad. One barely needs a recipe but I thought I would post it because 1) I like it 2) it's tomato season and 3) it's just such a pretty dish! Somehow my posts got out of order. You may not have noticed, but it slightly annoys me that this salad that I served before the pea ravioli's is being posted a week later. Ok, I digress.

IMG_0988

Caprese Salad
Since this is a very simple salad, you have to go for the best ingredients. I bought heirloom tomatoes from the farmer's market and buffalo mozzarella, and picked basil from my backyard.

* best tomatoes you can find, sliced thinly
* buffalo mozzarella, torn or sliced
* basil leaves, torn if big
* extra virgin olive oil
* balsamic vinegar
* salt and pepper, to taste

On a plate, place a slice of tomato, a piece of mozzarella and then basil.
Repeat in a circular shape, overlapping each ingredient.
Drizzle the extra virgin olive oil, and then the vinegar.
Season with salt and pepper.
That's it - tada!

IMG_0991

You could also make this salad "free style" by chopping pieces of tomatoes, adding the mozzarella and basil, and adding the dressing. It's really the perfect salad for summer!

For other summery recipes:
* Fajita Salad
* Four Bean Salad
* Fresh Corn Salad
* Garden Salad with Rice Wine Vinegar and Maple Dressing
* Grilled Pizza with Pesto and Buffalo Mozzarella
* Grilled Vegetable Couscous

1 comment:

Valerie said...

I love caprese salad and this looks amazing!!! Hope you had a great weekend.

Valerie