Monday, September 13, 2010

Goat Cheese stuffed Mushrooms

I enjoy having "small plates" meals. What can I say? I like variety. So on this occasion, my boyfriend A made soup and a Greek salad. I brought over these goat cheese stuffed mushrooms, a cauliflower salad and roasted heirloom carrots (that didn't turn out too well).

Stuffed Mushrooms

Goat Cheese stuffed Mushrooms
I only realized now that the original recipes calls for large mushrooms. I tried to pick the smallest ones and think this size would be more suitable for cocktail parties. I also realized I don't follow recipes very well so I've included the changes I made.
From
French Food at Home.

* 1 lb. small button mushrooms
* olive oil
* 1 shallot, minced (or ¼ onion)
* 1 clove garlic, minced
* ¼ tsp red dry chili flakes
* 2 tsp chopped fresh thyme leaves
* 3-4 Tbsp fresh breadcrumbs (I used panko crumbs)
* 1 pinch salt and pepper
* 4-6 Tbsp goat cheese
* 1 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley leaves (I only had dried parsley and used that instead)

Remove the stems from the mushrooms, finely chop, and set aside.
Place the caps, holes downwards, on a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes at 375F.
Meanwhile, heat up olive oil in a small pan and fry the shallot until slightly soft, about 3 minutes. Add the chopped mushroom stems until soft, about 5 more minutes.
Add the garlic, chili flakes, thyme and parsley.
Cook for another minute.
In a bowl, mix the cooked mushroom mixture, the goat cheese and all but a tablespoon of the breadcrumbs.
Taste, and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
Remove the mushrooms from the oven and turn them holes upwards.
Spoon the goat cheese mixture into each mushroom.
Top each mushroom with panko crumbs, pressing them into the cheese mixture.
Bake until the tops are golden and the filling is very hot, about 10 minutes.
Tada!

Mushroom Caps
Emptied mushroom caps.

Mushroom Filling Before baking
Mixing the goat cheese, mushroom stems and panko crumbs to make the filling.

I was really happy with these mushrooms. They were very easy to make. Each mushroom made for a perfect mushroom-y, salty bite. You can't go wrong combining goat cheese with mushrooms. Yum!

Stuffed Mushrooms
Perfect one bite mushrooms.

No comments: