Thursday, August 13, 2009

Garden Salad

I invited myself over to my friends T's and Superfly's. I hadn't seen their two-year old in a while and I didn't want her to forget her Auntie N! They were nice to invite me over for some grilled pizza. I can't turn down grilled pizza! I volunteered to bring a salad since I had lettuce and tomatoes from my garden.



Garden Salad
This was inspired by what was in my garden and the peas in my refrigerator. I then read a recipe for Farmers Market Salad that used peas in GOOP (Gwyneth Paltrow's weekly newsletter). I liked that she used maple syrup in the vinaigrette and decided to try it.

* lettuce, well washed and torn (I had red leaf and some peppery arugula)
* fresh green peas (from my garden and supplemented by the supermarket)
* cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
* half an avocado, cubed
* rice vinegar
* maple syrup
* honey grain Dijon mustard (that's all I had in the fridge)
* extra virgin olive oil
* salt
* pepper

Place lettuce, green peas, tomatoes and avocado in a bowl.
For the dressing, place the rest of the ingredients in a small bowl, to taste, and whisk together. (I meant to measure but forgot. I was heavy handed with the maple syrup because I liked the sweetness it provided.)
Pour on top of the salad.
Tada!


Little P is already learning how took work a stove at her age!


P played while her dad barbecued dinner.




Nothings beats grilled pizza!



A side of salad makes it healthy!

No comments: