Friday, January 23, 2009

Tarte Grecque en Croûte de Riz (Greek Tart with Rice Crust)

In my attempt to eat healthy, I have been trying to eat more vegetables. I thought about this recipe because it would also satisfy my savoury cravings. Tarte Grecque en Croûte de Riz (Greek Tart with Rice Crust) was featured on a Québécois cooking show that my sister and I really enjoy: À la di Stasio. My sister L has even met the host, Josée di Stasio, during L's short stint at a high end clothing store.



This recipe is pretty healthy because the crust is made of brown rice (bring on the fibre!). Then they are layers of vegetables and feta! Finally, eggs are added which are a great source of protein. It's a very pretty dish with the layers of different ingredients and it's a great (and substantial) vegetarian dish.



Tarte Grecque en Croûte de Riz (Greek Tart with Rice Crust) - 4-6 servings
From À la di Stasio.
This recipe does not seem to be online anymore, so it's good I saved it and translated it below. It seems like Fabricia also translated it on her blog in Portguese! This recipe requires multiple steps but it's well worth it. The only changes I have made is reducing the amount of rice from 3 cups to 2, since I thought the crust was too thick. It also takes me a longer time to cook, more like an hour than the recommended 35-40 minutes.

Crust
* 2 cups cooked brown rice, or any rice you prefer
* 2 eggs (maybe reduce since this was for 3 cups of rice - use the rest in the filling)
* 5 tbsp Parmesan
* juice from ½ lemon
* salt and pepper
* 3 tbsp Italian parsley, finely chopped
* 2 tbsp toasted sesame seeds

Filling
* 2 cups spinach, cooked
* 240 g (8 oz) feta, ½" slices
* 1 can 398 mL (14 oz) artichokes, sliced
* 4 eggs
* 1 cup milk or cream
* salt and pepper
* 1 garlic clove, minced
* 3 tbsp fresh basil, finely chopped
* 1 tbsp dry oregano
* ½ cup black olives, sliced
* 1 Italian tomato sliced

Preheat oven to 180° C (350º F).
Mix all the ingredients for the crust.
Make a crust with the mixture in a square 9x9 baking dish. The crust should not exceed 1 cm thickness.
Pre-bake the crust in the oven for 15 minutes - it will continue cooking with the filling.
On the pre-cooked crust, add the ingredients for the filling: spinach, feta and artichoke.
In a bowl, beat the eggs and milk together.
Add the garlic, salt, pepper, basil and oregano to the egg mixture.
Pour the egg mixture onto the vegetables.
Cover the tart with olives and tomatoes.
Grind some pepper on top of the tart and sprinkle a bit of oregano.
Bake the tart in the oven for 1 hour.
Tada!

Ready to dig in! Spinach always makes me feel like I am eating healthy.

1 comment:

Martini said...

Sorry this is off-topic, but... stealing your bins?! What the bloody hell is wrong with people? I hope you can call the city and keep getting replacements. I suppose at some point they'll say 'no more' and cut you off. But then you can just steal your neighbours bins. ha.