Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Bánh Patê Sô - Pâté Chaud (Vietnamese Meat Pies)

Bánh patê sô, or pâté chaud in French (which translates to hot pie), is a very popular Vietnamese snack. I have never encountered a French version of this dish so I assume that this is a Vietnamese recipe with French influence. I really liked eating these in Vietnam. I had a couple of these when I was in California, and Ravenous Couple's post made me want to try making them myself. The perfect occasion presented itself when it was my turn for weekly treats (Every week, 3 people are assigned to bring treats on Friday at work. We congregate at 10 am to snack and chichat.).

IMG_0452

Bánh Patê Sô - Pâté Chaud (Vietnamese Meat Pies) - Makes 16 x 3
I made a lot of filling so had to use a lot of puff pastry. Reduce the recipe to make just enough. However, these can be easily frozen and baked at your convenience. I had originally planned to make round pies like typically found at Vietnamese food stores but it was easier (and less wasteful!) to make little square pies. Shape them as you wish!

* 1 lb. ground pork
* 150 g pâtê
* ¼ onion, diced finely
* ½ salt
* ¼ tsp pepper
* 3 packages of puff pastry, thawed (if not rolled, roll into a square)
* 1 egg, beaten

Mix the ground pork, pâtê, onion, salt and pepper until well mixed.
Form a little patty and fry it up in a pan.
Adjust seasoning to taste.
Cut puff pastry into 16 squares.
Place a tablespoon or so of filling on one of the squares.
Top with another squares.
Crimp the edges with a fork.
Brush each square with the egg wash.
(To freeze, place each square on parchment lined baking sheet and freeze until the pies are rock hard. Then move them to a plastic bag. If not, they will stick together.)
Bake at 350F on parchment lined baking sheet for 12-15 minutes or until golden.
Tada!

IMG_0440 IMG_0441
Mixing the ingredients at the top.

IMG_0444 IMG_0445
I first placed 16 pieces of meat filling, topped them with a whole puff pastry sheet and then sliced each.

IMG_0448 IMG_0449
I thought it gave more even square by cutting the squares first.

IMG_0446 IMG_0450
Before and after baking.

All my colleagues really enjoyed my Vietnamese meat pies and I still have some in the freezer whenever the craving for bánh patê sô hits me!

IMG_0455
I love the big chunks of black pepper from the pâté.

2 comments:

Ravenous Couple said...

love the use of pate in your version..yum!

Mary said...

Thank you so much for this recipe! I absolutely love it!