Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Hoài Hương (Montréal, QC)

5485 avenue Victoria
Montréal, Québec
514.738.6610

Since our father couldn't make it to my sister's wedding in Cape Cod, we met up with him for dinner at Hoài Hương. My dad is of Chinese origin but was born and raised in Vietnam, so he loves his Vietnamese food. I asked my mom what hoài hương means - my understanding is that it's "remembering your homeland" in Vietnamese; for my Vietnamese readers, please forgive my loose translation! Hoài Hương is a popular joint in the Côte-des-Neiges area, especially on beautiful days when you can enjoy Vietnamese food outside.

IMG_0501

I decided to get Bún Thịt Nướng Chả Giò ($9.25), vermicelli noodles with grilled meat and spring roll. My dad got the same dish, but instead of vermicelli noodles, he ordered the thinner bánh hỏi noodles. This is a dish that you find at most Vietnamese restaurants and I enjoy it every time. I always like spring rolls rolled with chewy rice paper.

IMG_0507 IMG_0505
Bún Thịt Nướng Chả Giò.

My sister's then fiancé D (now husband) ordered the Mì Xào Dòn, crispy noodles with beef. He said it was pretty good.

IMG_0506

My sister L ordered the nem nướng (pork meatballs) which came with its own dipping sauce. The meatballs were good but they were not as flavourful as I like them. I like the B&T's better and my sister said somehow that's what she was expecting, even though the B&T is in Hamilton!

IMG_0508 IMG_0509
Nem nướng.

My sister's and dad's dish came with rice paper to roll. I've been meaning to take a picture of these plastic gadgets meant to wet rice papers in bulk. You place rice paper on the individual plastic disks, dunk it in water and take out one disk at a time to roll your food. My mom brought some Vietnam where they were very inexpensive.

IMG_0503 IMG_0504
Rice paper instrument.

Hoài Hương delivers good food. Service was good and food was served quickly. They also serve
phở but it was to hot to enjoy soup on the day we went.

Hoai Huong on Urbanspoon

For other Vietnamese restaurant posts:
*
Bánh Cuốn Đào Viên Restaurant Vietnamien (Montréal, QC)
* Sing Sing (Montréal, QC)
* B&T Restaurant (Hamilton, ON)

3 comments:

Daniel said...

My dish WAS excellent. Too bad it was day-1 of my being sick...

Unknown said...

I saw those rice paper holders in my local big Chinese market the other day (99 Ranch in Los Angeles)- not sure of the price but I do not think it was expensive. I wondered how well they worked.

Miss.Adventure said...

They work pretty well! It saves space on the table: we usually have a bowl of water where we dip our own rice paper!