I thought it would be interesting to share my (biased) point of view of what type of cook I am. If you're going to be spending time reading my food blog, I think it's just fair. I also like to make lists so here are 10 things, in no specific order, about me as a cook.
1. I am very visual when it comes to cooking. That's why I follow recipes from foodtv.ca after having seen them being cooked on television. I also like my cookbooks to have pictures for each recipe. I wouldn't be motivated by a written recipe without any pictures.
2. I am great at prepping and chopping. I enjoy it. A bit too much maybe. I think I have a bit of Monk in me when it comes to cutting everything in the same size, just right.
3. I try to have everything organized in advance, especially for a special meal with guests. This doesn't prevent me from being easily frazzled when things don't go as planned.
4. I use a lot of bowls, pots, pans, utensils. I don't disagree. However, I do try to clean up as I go along. Try, being the operative word.
5. I feel passionated about my vegetables not being overdone. I am very disappointed if I accidentally overcook vegetables.
6. I like to make certain things from scratch: broth, pasta sauce, ravioli. I don't make bread, pasta or pizza dough from scratch. Not yet anyway.
7. I like making bite-sized, appetizer type foods. I also like planning what I will cook at parties. I will make detailed list of guests, dishes, presentation.
8. I've heard that there are those who cook and those who bake. I am definitely the former. I find you can easily screw up baking. However, I enjoy freshly baked goods, so I do bake occasionally, like cookies.
9. I tend to overseason, rather than underseason. So things sometimes come out a bit too salty, or spicy but never bland!
10. I totally believe that there can be too many cooks in the kitchen. This usually results in me feeling frazzled, even when people are trying to help me.
360 Restaurant At The CN Tower
1 week ago