Tuesday, November 11, 2008

10 List: What kind of cook am I?

I thought it would be interesting to share my (biased) point of view of what type of cook I am. If you're going to be spending time reading my food blog, I think it's just fair. I also like to make lists so here are 10 things, in no specific order, about me as a cook.

1. I am very visual when it comes to cooking. That's why I follow recipes from foodtv.ca after having seen them being cooked on television. I also like my cookbooks to have pictures for each recipe. I wouldn't be motivated by a written recipe without any pictures.

2. I am great at prepping and chopping. I enjoy it. A bit too much maybe. I think I have a bit of Monk in me when it comes to cutting everything in the same size, just right.

3. I try to have everything organized in advance, especially for a special meal with guests. This doesn't prevent me from being easily frazzled when things don't go as planned.

4. I use a lot of bowls, pots, pans, utensils. I don't disagree. However, I do try to clean up as I go along. Try, being the operative word.

5. I feel passionated about my vegetables not being overdone. I am very disappointed if I accidentally overcook vegetables.

6. I like to make certain things from scratch: broth, pasta sauce, ravioli. I don't make bread, pasta or pizza dough from scratch. Not yet anyway.

7. I like making bite-sized, appetizer type foods. I also like planning what I will cook at parties. I will make detailed list of guests, dishes, presentation.

8. I've heard that there are those who cook and those who bake. I am definitely the former. I find you can easily screw up baking. However, I enjoy freshly baked goods, so I do bake occasionally, like cookies.

9. I tend to overseason, rather than underseason. So things sometimes come out a bit too salty, or spicy but never bland!

10. I totally believe that there can be too many cooks in the kitchen. This usually results in me feeling frazzled, even when people are trying to help me.

No comments: