Saturday, November 8, 2008

Hummus

I am the type of person who is always looking for a snack. Carrots dipped in hummus makes for a perfect snack because 1) it satisfies my savoury needs without the addition of any salt 2) I end up eating at least one serving of my required vegetable intake and 3) chickpeas is a great protein.



This is really a cheater's version of hummus. There is no tahini but has peanut butter instead. I like to add a lot of lemon juice because I like it pretty sour. I only know one recipe so I just stick to this.

Hummus
This recipe is very flexible. You can add more or less of any ingredient. You can also add pesto or sundried tomato to make a flavoured hummus.

* 1 can 19 oz chickpeas, rinsed and drained
* 1-2 garlic cloves, sliced roughly
* juice of 1 lemon
* 3 tbsp smooth peanut butter
* 3-4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil

Add all of the ingredients and process.
If it is not processing sufficiently, add more oil to help out.
Serve as a dip with pita or vegetables.
Tada!

2 comments:

Gastronomer said...

You know who likes Hummus? White people: http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008/10/27/112-hummus/

Why not tahini?

Miss.Adventure said...

Haha! I just used this recipe and then I couldn't be bothered to go look for it or buy it. I'm very lazy...