Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Chickpea and Leek Soup

I really enjoy eating soups. Did I mention I am a total SOUP person?? As the weather gets cooler and cooler, I have a collection of soups that I rotate through. Luckily, I find them all delicious and most of the time they can be healthy at the same time.



This Chickpea and Leek Soup recipe is from Jamie Oliver - I think from one of his first shows. I have made it for a number of years. The chickpeas add the protein component and leeks make everything taste good. While I did use broth that I had in the freezer, I know my mom just adds water when she makes leek soup because leeks are so flavourful.

Mighty leeks.


Sliced leeks. Leeks have to be carefully washed because there is always a lot of dirt!

Leek, potato and chick pea mixture.

This soup is surprisingly sweet. The recipe suggests processing half the soup. This makes the soup creamy, without the cream. I like the chunks of chickpeas and potatoes, and the slices of leeks. Yum! I'm ready for winter (not really... I'm never ready for winter).

Some ground pepper and we're good to go.

What did I eat my soup with? Another pita pizza!

2 comments:

Martini said...

Leeks? They are indestructable! My parents gave us some, along with a pile of other vegetables when they were leaving for Florida. We ate what we could and threw the rest into our backyard to decompose. But guess what. The leeks decided to grow roots instead. Now they're Zombie leeks!

Miss.Adventure said...

If you have leeks next year, bring them my way!