Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Leftover Chicken Pizza and Pasta

I had to figure out what to do with the chicken I picked from the bones for the chicken broth I made. For my first meal, I made a pita pizza and second, I made a baked pasta dish.


Leftover chicken.

BBQ Chicken Pita Pizza
I often make pita pizza. It's a great dish to throw whatever you have on. I made a tomato sauce from the leftover canned tomatoes I used in the beef stew I made. This time, I mixed some of the chicken with BBQ sauce. I laid the tomato sauce, potato slices, chicken mixture, some mushroom and onion, and finally mozzarella cheese. Perfect light dinner!


BBQ chicken on the potato slices.


I had yummy shiitake mushrooms and onion.


Pita pizza ready to eat!

Backed Chicken Penne
Before Christmas, not only did I want to use the leftover chicken, but I wanted to use the most leftover I could before going to my mom's. I still had leftover tomato sauce, half a tomato, mushrooms, full fat milk and cheese. Sounds like the perfect ingredients for a baked pasta dish!

* oil
* 1 onion
* flour
* mushroom
* tomato sauce
* full fat milk
* shredded chicken
* sundried tomatoes, sliced thinly
* salt and pepper, to taste
* pasta, cooked and drained
* mozzarella, grated

Stir fry onion in oil.
Add a bit of flour to thicken the sauce.
Add the mushrooms.
Once the mushrooms are cooked, add the tomato sauce and a bit of milk.
Add the chicken, sundried tomatoes and pasta.
Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Pour into a baking dish.
Top the pasta with the grated mozzarella.
Bake (or broil since everything is already cooked) until the cheese is melted and golden.
Tada!

Leftover mushroom.

Stir frying the onion, mushroom and tomato.

The pasta would probably be good as is.


I wouldn't use so much cheese but I can't let it go bad, can I?



Nice and golden, yum!



Not such a light dinner this time!

No comments: