Thursday, July 9, 2009

Korean Style Short Ribs (Kalbi)

Not only did my mom make thịt nướng (Vietnamese style short ribs) for dinner when I came to visit, but she also made Korean style short ribs (kalbi). This was my first time trying it and I really enjoyed it. My friend C came over for dinner and thought they were quite addictive. Korean style short ribs are unique in their cut: ribs are cut lengthwise across the bones. My mom recently discovered that you can buy this type of short ribs at supermarkets. Before that, she said she'd only seen it in Asian markets in California. I was discussing this with my Korean student and she mentioned that she just asks the butcher to cut short ribs this way.



Korean Style Short Ribs (Kalbi)
Once you buy the Korean style short ribs, the rest is easy. Just like the thịt nướng, it's a matter of mixing the marinade ingredients and let it sit overnight.

* 1 kg of Korean style beef short ribs
* 1-½ tsp salt
* 3 tbsp sugar
* about 5 garlic cloves, minced
* 2 tbsp sesame oil
* 1 tsp dried chili flakes
* 1 tbsp soy sauce
* 5 green onions, white parts chopped very finely
* 2 tbsp sesame seeds
* a pinch of baking soda (less than ⅛ tsp)

Mix all of the marinade ingredients in a large bowl.
Add the beef short ribs and allow to marinate overnight.
Grill on barbecue or broil in the oven.
When one side is cooked, turn the ribs over and cook the other side.
Serve with sticky rice. (We just ate it with bún but my mom assures me it's great with sticky rice. I'm not sure when she turned Korean...)
Tada!



Short ribs from the supermarket are marinated and then grilled.

1 comment:

Hedgehog said...

I love kalbi!!! you should try using puree pear in the marinade as well, apparently it helps to tenderise the meat.