Monday, August 10, 2009

Dark Chocolate Truffle Cupcakes

It seems I've been stretching these posts on my friend T's birthday. That's because I've been lazy writing I guess. On T's actual birthday, I went over to her and Superfly's place for some takeout Indian food. It was the birthday girl's request. I decided to make chocolate cupcakes. I was imagining a cupcake that was reminiscent of truffles and googled "truffle cupcakes". I found a dark chocolate truffle cupcake recipe. The cupcakes were good, but nothing spectacular.



I thought I would share this recipe not for what went well, but for what went wrong. Most food blogs always seem so perfect. Food is shown at its best. However, I'm not perfect; I make mistakes in the kitchen. Sometimes, they're disastrous ones, like when I dropped the flourless chocolate torte and had to make a second one. Sometimes, I don't learn my lesson the first time around and go on repeating the same mistake. This happened when I tried making Giada De Laurentiis' almond and chocolate clusters. The first time I forgot to spray the mini muffin tin and ended up scraping caramel off for a very long time with nothing to show. I thought I had wisened up the second time and sprayed the tin. I still had to scrape off caramel with nothing to show. I learned to read the comment section of online recipe where everyone complained about the same problem. Stoopid, stoopid, stoopid!



This time, the cupcake making was going well. Before dropping the batter into the muffin tin, I actually tasted the batter and thought it was not very sweet. I remembered weighing the sugar, so I continued on with my task and placed the cupcakes in the oven. Two minutes into baking, I noticed the sugar on the scale... and not in the cupcakes! I couldn't bear wasting all that butter and eggs. So I took out the cupcakes, added sugar to each individual one and stirred in the sugar (chopsticks are so useful for all sorts of uses!).


Trying to fix my mistake!


The cupcakes came out fine. It was worth the rescue. Maybe the experience tainted my enjoyment of the cupcakes. I don't think I'll be making this recipe again...!

1 comment:

Gastronomer said...

Great save! Chopsticks were a very, very good call. I wished that you lived nearby, then you could bring over salad and cupcakes on a semi-regular basis. I don't have a child for you to play with though.