Monday, August 17, 2009

Bún Thịt Heo Băm Xào (Rice Vermicelli with Ground Pork)

The best combination for a dish when you've had a long day is easy and tasty. Bún thịt heo băm xào (rice vermicelli with ground pork) fits these requirements. It can also be really quick if you have the ingredients on hand. I had some leftover bún (rice vermicelli) from making bún thịt bò xào (vermicelli with stir-fried beef). So I took out some frozen ground pork to thaw for the next day.

Pork, including ground pork, is used a lot in Vietnamese cuisine, like in nem nướng (grilled pork meatballs). I remember when I was young wondering why we didn't eat more ground beef like other people. Now I think I might even prefer ground pork over ground beef. I think its added fattiness adds more flavour.



Bún Thịt Heo Băm Xào (Rice Vermicelli with Ground Pork)
This groud pork mixture is used in many dishes, sometimes with the addition of wood ear mushrooms, like in bánh giò. It's also great cooked as little patties!

* oil
* ¼ onion, chopped small
* 100 g ground pork
* salt, to taste
* ground black pepper, to taste
* a pinch of sugar, or to taste
* a handful of bún, cooked (for cooking instructions)

Heat up oil.
Stir fry onion.
Add ground pork and break into pieces.
Add salt, sugar and pepper and mix.
Adjust seasoning to taste - I like it very peppery.
Turn off the heat.
Add the bún and mix it with the ground pork. (You don't want to cook the bún or it could get mushy. If you have leftover like meat, heat it up beforehand in the microwave.)
Tada!


Leftover bún feeding me a second meal.

No comments: