Monday, August 3, 2009

Chocolate Pecan Cheesecake

Finally, for my friend T's birthday dinner, we finished it off with a Chocolate Pecan Cheesecake. I asked T what her favourite dessert was and when I couldn't get a straight answer, I went to her husband Superfly. He suggested cheesecake; she doesn't get a chance to eat it as often as she'd like because he's not a big fan of cheesecake. Ah, the compromises when you're married! So I was happy to look for a cheesecake recipe that had a little bit more going for it.



I stumbled onto a recipe for bourbon chocolate pecan cheesecake, from the blog Andrea's recipes. I thought it'd be a nice cross between cheesecake and pecan pie, with some chocolate thrown in. When I mentioned this recipe to my sister, she thought it was a bit cochon.


Chocolate bottom with a layer of chocolate ganache.



The chocolate is covered with cream cheese and topped with pecans.


Then the corn syrup mixture.


The recipe was easy to make even though there were a few steps to it. I halved the recipe since I did not want any leftovers at my place! I added more pecans than the recipe called for; this was tasty but I think it made the cheesecake harder to cut. I skipped the bourbon because one of my guests is pregnant. I think when I poured the corn syrup mixture, it seeped in a bit into the cream cheese portion, but it tasted very yummy nonetheless! This is a great recipe if you want to make cheesecake even MORE decadent!

I had a hard time cutting a nice piece but it tasted better than this picture looks!

For other chocolate-y desserts:
* Chestnut Brownies
* Chocolate Fondue
* Chocolate Pie with Meringue Topping
* Flourless Chocolate Torte
* French Chocolate Bark
* Dark Chocolate Truffle Cupcakes
* Hershey's "Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate Cake

2 comments:

Gastronomer said...

Aw, you're such a good friend! The cheesecake is admittedly cochon, but that's what birthdays are for! Did you use a springform pan? I keep wanting to make cheesecake but do not have the proper equipment :-(

Miss.Adventure said...

Yes, a springform pan is a must or you won't be able to get the cake out. Even with one, I had some difficulty. I would consider using parchment paper on the wall of the pan next time!